- “Movie Reviews and How to Write Them” (part 1 of 3) – Thinking through how to write reviews, with Chronicles of Narnia as a sample.
- “Best Picture: Says Who?” (part 2 of 3) – On the Academy Awards
- “Analyzing and Evaluating Films as Works of Art” (part 3 of 3) – Standards for judging films esthetically
Specific movies & TV shows
On this site: under Categories, click Film.
- Comments on Tim’s Vermeer – Did Vermeer uses a lens and a concave mirror to project an image onto the canvas, which he then painted?
- “Amadeus Revisited” – For 20 years, I refused to watch Amadeus because I couldn’t stand the way Mozart was represented (with excerpts from Pushkin!). When I finally did watch it again, I realized I’d been misinterpreting it.
- “Buffy the Vampire Slayer and the Real World” – “Why do I feel the Hellmouth is gaping because Buffy the Vampire Slayer’s last episode airs this month? After all, I have no immediate, ‘practical’ reason for watching it. I don’t need lessons in killing demons, or martial arts, or dressing twenty-chic. So what’s the appeal? …” (A thank-you of sorts to Joss Whedon.)
On this site: under Categories, click Photography.
- Upward Glance: Chicago (screensaver) – 200 high-resolution photos of Chicago, mostly the architecture in the Loop and Michigan Avenue
- Upward Glance: New York (screensaver) – 1,500+ photos taken in New York City and nearby, ranging from skylines to pedestal clocks, from phalanxes of skyscrapers to brownstone facades, from Central Park scenes to sailboats in Suffolk County.